Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) program - Jaelin Hayden

 
 I recently attended a program called the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) program that was held at George Washington University in Washington, DC. This program included approximately 40 sophomores who were chosen by HOBY. I initially thought that this three day program was going to be experienced leaders talking about the fundamentals of what being a leader is all about...I was wrong.

This program has done much more; it changed my perspective on life! Not only did it teach me what it means to become a leader, it also taught me why it is important to become a leader and that every person has a purpose in life. HOBY has let me come out of my comfort zone through all of their intriguing and exceptionally adrenaline raising activities and chants. This experience has allowed me to analyze myself and led me to discover who I am and how I can make a positive impact on the people in this world.

 I learned through the different panelists who spoke with us and the community service projects that we participated in that the little things people do count in ways you would not expect. One of the community service activities we did was Race for the Cure. This is where thousands of men and women run for several miles to help raise money and support the efforts to find a cure for breast cancer. 

After the event was over, we helped take down all the tables, chairs and table cloths that were surrounding the National Mall. This job may sound simple but it was also very exhausting. There must have been hundreds of tables and chairs throughout the National Mall. But, HOBY made a lot of people’s jobs much easier.

Another community service activity we did was with Martha’s Table. There, HOBY volunteers recorded their voice while reading a children’s book so that sick kids in the hospital can feel more comfortable. We also did much, much more!

After the HOBY program is over, you are and always will be a part of HOBY and therefore, you get special privileges! HOBY helps students get community service hours by giving alumni a list of things that we can do throughout the year that equals up to 100 community service hours!
 
Being a HOBY alumnus also gives you a chance to meet other HOBY alumni throughout the world; it’s kind of like a sorority! As a result, I would most definitely recommend rising sophomores to attend this program because you will gain a lot out of this experience and it will be lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment