Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Value Of Ones Education - Ty'Ronn Spriggs, LearnServe Zambia


Dear Reader,

Today we visited David Kaunda National Technology School. It is a boarding school here in Lusaka, Zambia. I found this school really interesting because I attend a boarding school myself. I was partnered up with a student by the name of Bertha Chishumba. She is in grade 12 and she is finishing school in 3 months. She has been at David Kaunda since she was in the 10th grade. After David Kaunda, she wants to go to the University of Zambia and become an investment banker. She also wants to join the fashion industry. Bertha is a very smart individual and I was honored to be paired with her.

What I found very interesting is that she takes 8 classes a day and each class is 40 minutes long. Her subjects include Math, English, Spanish, Technology, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and History. At my school (The SEED Public Charter School), we only have 4 classes a day, but we take 7 subjects a year. Also, the David Kaunda School allows their students to stay on campus on the weekends with parental consent. I find that very interesting since some of the students live very far from the school, just like Bertha, and they have the option of staying in a safe environment other than walking home.

Another thing I noticed that completely blew my mind was that unlike SEED, they do not have Life Skills Counselors (LSCs) or Resident Assistant’s (RAs) to watch over the students while they are in the dorms. Instead, they have 1 student for each dorm who they call the “Head Boy/Girl” and this student has an office! When I went to see the dorms, the office was full of posters related to all of the different subjects. I was so amazed that these teenagers who are just like me have so much self -control and respect for each other.


The students at David Kaunda have a different perspective on education and success. Education to them was more than just coming to school everyday. They are actually interested in learning something, even if a teacher is not present. While walking through the campus, I stopped past a class with no teacher. The students were in their seats, quiet, working, with nothing but instructions on the chalkboard and a diagram. They went straight to work without a teacher being present for the entire class period. I know that in the past if my teacher were not present and there was no substitute teacher, no work was taking place in that classroom.

Today I learned that a teacher not being present is not an excuse for me to not do my work. I also realized that these students are motivated, they push themselves to develop successful study habits, and they are striving to be the best in all of Zambia.

As I said before, the students at David Kaunda are very intelligent. For example, Bertha has read every book in the Twilight series – a series with a very complex plot – and she is waiting for the new book to be released. I was very impressed on how self-motivated the students were. I just can not believe that this journey must end so soon. In two more days I will be saying goodbye Zambia and hello to my Mommy. I am really going to miss this place and all of the people in this group, both students and teachers. I will also miss all of the people I have met and all the youth I have interacted with and helped. It was so much fun while it lasted, and I will return in a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment