Friday, September 23, 2011

Farm and Wilderness - Christopher Smith

 
When I first got to the Farm and Wilderness camp, it seemed like a regular, normal outdoor camp. But, once I got settled in and met all of my cabin mates and my counselors, I had a feeling that I was going to have a lot of fun. One of the first things that I had to do was take a swim test and learn about cows, goats, chickens, roosters and pigs. I also got to build benches using saws, sledge hammers, shovels and nails.

During camp, we received outdoor living training, including how to survive living in the outdoors and knowing which items you would need to survive while living outdoors. As part of the outdoor training, the counselors described the different overnight trips and I selected the trip to Silver Lake.

It took two hours to hike to Silver Lake but the trip was worth it! We went swimming on the beach, hiking and rock climbing. One rock was 70 feet high and while I only made it 75% of the way to the top, I had fun trying to climb the rock.

During the last week of camp, we had a spy night where the spies had to get a message past the campers who were on patrol. The counselors also showed us how to prepare food from the farm to the plate. On one of the last nights, we had a banquet and a surprise dance party! 

No comments:

Post a Comment