Thursday, September 16, 2010

City Kids - Olatunji Coleman

 
I attended the City Kids camp way out in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The ranch was huge. It was bigger than Camp Manitou, a camp I went to earlier in the summer. City Kids had horses that they rented for the whole summer. They let us pick one to take care of. My horse was pure snow white and her name was Toots. She liked another horse named Chowder. My cabinmates were Thomas and Jeru.

I did a lot of new things at City Kids. The camp has a lot of stories behind it. The story of the chizzler (whistle pigs) who bit off a camper toes when it provoked it. Or Jake the Headless Moose, who was shot by Justin, a cook, when he was a teen. They say ever since then Jake has always come back to the ranch, looking for his head.

I learned how to White Water Raft. That is like the mixture of canoeing and a rollercoaster. We rafted down the Snake River. There is freezing cold water and the rapids are huge. I also learned how to control a horse. I have learned that if [a horse] it is stubborn then you have to be even more stubborn than the horse.

I would recommend City Kids to anyone. It was a great experience and kids will learn how to take care of horses a few core values, including Responsibility and Leaving No Trace (L.N.T). Respect is another Core Value. City Kids will give you a better appreciation of the wilderness, horses and rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment