Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Summer - Kalonji Coleman


During the first week off from SEED, I went to a camp in Maine called Camp Manitou. We experienced a lot of new things like swimming in a lake, archery and riflery. That week, we got to do anything we wanted but we did have to switch from activity to activity. The worst part about our trip was getting there on the bus. I woke up with a cramp in my neck. It was also cold and I left my blanket in my suitcase – not a good move. The best part of the trip was when we went rock climbing. I was the first 6th grader to climb to the top! That made me feel proud of myself! We also learned how to play golf and now that I have a better understanding, I’m more interested in golf. I used to think that golf was the most boring sport. I still do but I like golf better now.

A few weeks after Camp Manitou, my brother and I celebrated our birthday at Six Flags with our friend Sean. We got to the park early and stayed until it closed and had the best time! I went back to Six Flags with my mentor and got on rides that I did not get a chance to ride on my birthday.

My brother and I also attended a Basketball Day camp at Calvin Coolidge High, the same camp that we attended last year. After the basketball camp, I went to a program called the National Society of Black Engineers' (NSBE) Summer Engineering Experience for Kids (SEEK). 

At the SEEK program, we learned how to build airplanes, make motorized toy cars and help make the Gulf of Mexico cleaner. I liked how we had the gears mesh. Mesh is when gears match. Gears are those things you see on your bike or motorcycle. They help move bikes.


I also attended the YMCA THINGAMAJIG Invention Convention. It was like a big science fair for kids at the Showplace Arena. I shared my experience at the Computer and Science Camp at Georgetown University that I attended in 2008. The best part about the YMCA THINGAMAJIG Invention Convention was that I got paid $10 an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment