Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Summer Experience - Tyrhee Moore

This summer, I really enjoyed the activities I did. One activity in particular was my month long backpacking trip in Alaska through the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). This trip was nothing like a vacation; instead this trip taught me leadership skills in harsh environments. The NOLS experience pushed me and everyone else in my group to the edge numerous times but we all pushed through and made it to the much desired end.


The mornings were extremely cold before we had to break down our tents before we could begin that day’s activities. If it rained, we ate breakfast under a tarp and then set off for a day long backpacking trip while carrying about 80 pounds of gear. We would reach our camp site around 6pm and then it was time to set up for camp. We would eat dinner under our tarp and sometimes, we would hang out afterward or depending on the weather, we would brush our teeth and head straight for the tents.

My NOLS experience taught me that you can go through life without all of the material things that you think you need. I learned that you can live off of the things you work for and you can carry your life on your back. I also learned to lead my peers through dangerous, uncomfortable, and unfamiliar places. After this experience, I have definitely learned to take things for what they are and work through them. I also learned to live my life simply and that there are always good things coming along in the future, like the train at the end of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment