Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Experiment in International Living - Japan (Jihad Ford)


This summer I was granted an extraordinary experience, an opportunity to travel to the other side of the world and stay in Japan for four weeks as a group member of the Experiment in International Living’s (EIL) 2010 Language and Anime program. Though the atmosphere of Japan is very fast paced and busy, I felt very safe and welcomed there. This trip has changed my perception of how I view the rest of the world and has truly broadened my horizon. I now strive to approach situations with an honest and open mind.

I really liked the language classes. The experience of being taught Japanese while living in Japan was mind-blowing. My teachers Reiko and Mayumi were extremely patient and effectively taught my group lots of essential basic Japanese phrases and words within the four short days we had to spend with them.

I also enjoyed the two weeks of Anime School at the Yoyogi Animation Guakin. I love art and I have an enormous passion for drawing so I naturally had a great appreciation for the Anime School. It was truly amazing working with professional Anime artists. All of my group members received one-on-one time with a professional artist at the school. One of the professors of the School was an artist of my favorite Japanese Cartoon (Anime), DragonBall Z. I really appreciated how we were given the chance to interact with the Anime school students by playing group games and team based activities.


Out of all of the many new experiences and opportunities I was given in Japan, I know without I doubt the experience that has had the greatest impact on me was the week-long of my homestay with the Morimuri family. I am glad that I comfortably and happily felt like a part of their family, which consisted of a stay at home mom, a dad who worked as a police officer, and three boys ages ten, five, and three years old.



I developed a very strong connection with the family almost instantly as the children found me fun to play with. Additionally, the mother and father found my being a boxer very interesting. As I reflect on the times that I spent staying up late at night talking with my host family, I regret that I didn’t do it more often, especially when I realized that not too many people can say they have had that opportunity. 


The homestay was very significant because it made me realize that two human beings can strongly connect and create a beautiful bond with one another while overcoming any obstacles, including language and culture barriers. My experience of living in Japan and understanding and appreciating the Japanese culture and customs has made me more conscious of the world around me and has created a curiosity in me to want to further explore the world.

1 comment: